Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Sowing Seeds at DIA

My daughter returned from her five week missions trip to China last night (with TwentyFourSeven Leadership Academy)...the flight was scheduled to arrive at DIA at 7:22pm. We figured why not arrive early because DIA is just as full of lost people as any other place...and most are just standing around and WAITING with nothing else to do...so we arrived at 5pm.

It's amazing how we both still struggle with that hideous fear thing that is born out of our fear of man! Compassion beat out fear and the conversations started.

I'm amazed at the way God has answered my prayers about my fears several times when I've been out witnessing. The first two people I talked to last night were soundly saved...and didn't take offense at me asking pretty direct and probing questions about their salvation. Dick is from Colorado Springs and goes to Village Seven Presbyterian...his daughter is a missionary to Ireland. Roosevelt is an accountant for some church off Jet Wing and at least had the "right answers".

I've lost count of the number of times God has calmed my fears and helped me out of my comfort zone by bringing a believer to me first on several witnessing outings. Thank you Lord.

I talked to quite a few people last night and I got shot down very soundly twice. One guy was working behind the counter at Hertz, the other guy was a security guard just standing around. I offered both of them $1 million bills...asking them the million dollar question. The security guard just shook his head and wouldn't even speak, it was kind of weird and awkward. The Hertz guy was not very entertained by the question but answered "Heaven"...and he was clearly agitated (he actually started lightly banging his computer mouse on the counter top). I asked him why he answered "Heaven" and he said "I can't answer that right now" and would not accept the $1 million bill. I thanked him and walked away...fully expecting that he'd call security and I'd be answering to them (and witnessing to them) any minute.

That's when I walked around to the baggage claim area and had an amazing 15 minute conversation with a guy from Senegal. My first ever conversation with a Muslim...he's a Muslim because his family has been for generation after generation. And it was awesome! I thank Ray Comfort for all that I've learned about Biblical Evangelism and I appreciate his heart in that regard, but when it comes to reaching people with black and white logical and reasoned responses and evidences for the TRUTH I have to thank Mark Cahill. If you have not read "One Thing You Can't Do In Heaven" AND "One Heart Beat Away" - get copies and read them ASAP.

He now has a good understanding of God's moral law, judgment and GRACE. He was so open and honest...and he desires to know the TRUTH, because it doesn't matter what anyone "believes". The ONLY thing that matters is the truth! He even gave me his email address because he wants to KNOW the truth but he had to get back to work (baggage handler).

I had a very fun moment too...who knows, it might even have an eternal consequence. I was standing there waiting for God to point the next person out to me. I was watching people coming through the arrival area at DIA (near the fountains)...and I see this couple, I was like "Wait a minute...I know who that is!".

I walked up behind this guy and say "Mr. Dobson?" He turns around and I say (handing him a $1 million)..."Thanks a million for all that you do". I turn to his wife and say "And here Mrs Shirley (not sure why I didn't say "Mrs Dobson")...here's a million for you too." James Dobson looks at the $1 million with a beaming smile on his face and says..."Well goodness...thank you very much." Looks at my pocket and sees my wad of millions hanging out and says "Looks like you have plenty to give out!". I said "Thanks again" and turned and walked away. I turned back to see them walking away and checking out the million dollar bills.

My daughter's flight delays stacked up...and the flight ended up being an hour and a half late...an hour and a half of divine intervention...

And then there was Damien. I sat down next to him and started talking about waiting at the airport...some chit chat. He said that he had been to Malaysia a few years back and his friends were Muslims. I hadn't even taken the conversation in a spiritual direction yet. I prodded him with the "So do YOU have much of a Spiritual background?" He was somewhat agnostic...had grown up in the Catholic church, typical dead religion story now out in the world trying to figure things out.

We got rolling into the conversation, talking about the moral law, judgment, grace. He admits to me "Man, when you sat down and started talking I was saying to myself 'oh man, I just want to sit here by myself'....but now I'm really into this conversation". He also asked me toward the end of the conversation, very honestly and candidly..."So out of all these people in the airport - why did you come and talk to me? What made you think I was going to hell?" I told him...it's not like he's got a flashing neon sign over his head...flashing in bright red letters "Hell". I explained that if there's even the slightest chance of anyone going to hell, I'm motivated out of my concern for their eternal destiny to speak to them about the truth. So I try to engage as many people in that simple conversation as possible. I had tears in my eyes...he was definitely moved by that.

We talked for a good 20 minutes until my daughter's flight arrived - and I feel guilty for leaving at that time, my daughter is saved, Damien isn't and she certainly would understand that. Damien and I also talked about the fact that the only thing that matters is the TRUTH. The Holy Spirit has Damien's wheels turning.

I just wanted to share the DIA experience last night.

BTW - Pray for Dany (my wife)...she talked to quite a few people last night and left them with tracts, but she's having a real battle with directing the conversation to eternal matters. She knows full well it's first an issue of obedience and then an issue of compassion - but fear has been winning and she's getting pretty beat up about it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good work, Keith. We need more people out there and redeeming the time like you did.
We are told to go and it was not a suggestion, it was a command.

Taylor-Brooke said...

Hey! that's me! :D

Daddy - YOU'RE AWESOME!!!

Anonymous said...

You're alright Donaldson.
You crack me up. Giving that thing to Dobson.